Inside the controversial relationship of the creators with Instagram as the application adopts more videos

The fact that Instagram is moving to further emulate competitors TikTok and YouTube is no surprise. The creators were dissatisfied when the app added features like Reels and IGTV and removed its chronological timeline. But Mosseri’s new ad underscores how much Instagram is being influenced by the competition. Last week, Mosseri clarified in another cheep that although Instagram is ceasing to be a photo sharing application, it is not “abandoning photos or photo creators”.

The backlash has become widespread among the creators of Instagram. Many feel betrayed by the very platform that made them creators in the first place. “It’s getting discouraging to use the app with so much inconsistency and uncertainty when you post now,” tweeted Chloe Lloyd, a model and creator with 336,000 Instagram followers and 75,000 TikTok followers. “Creators [are] being forced to completely change who we are in order to ‘succeed.’ Instagram declined to comment on Ad Age, instead referring to Mosseri’s statements.

So-called micro influencers – that is, people with smaller but more targeted followers – don’t have the resources or the time to produce more videos. That is why they are particularly opposed to change. “The change demonstrates what we already know: IG only cares about instant ROI. This will boost those who give them a lot of $$, making it harder than ever for small businesses, small creators and regular users to be seen, “says Jenna Polyniak, an Instagram creator with just 2,000 followers on Instagram. , but 60,000 followers on TikTok, where she has been concentrating more efforts recently.

Jessica van Dop DeJesus, the travel creator who runs @diningtraveler with 14,600 followers on Instagram and has worked with brands like Nespresso, Hilton and HarperCollins, believes that adding more videos to her workload is simply not sustainable in terms of time and budget. Right now, she spends $ 2,000 to $ 3,000 a month on a down payment video editor to create reels from eight long-form videos that take time to get right. Brand deals and independent projects fund 75% of the channel, but she says the other 25% is self-funded.

Others are simply fed up with so many changes. Beauty creator Teni Panosian says that due to all the changes Instagram has made, she was prompted to launch her TikTok account earlier this year, where she has nearly 6,000 followers. Panosian (@tenipanosian) is currently an ambassador for YSL Beauty and founder of beauty brand Monday Born Beauty and has 573,000 followers on Instagram.

“Instagram has been changing its platform for some time and it seems that the harder they try to compete with other platforms, the more dissatisfied users become,” he says. “TikTok is doing a good job on small video content; Instagram trying to emulate that model makes it less interesting to use. “

Of course, there are creators who are more optimistic about change. Aimée Kelly, a British actress and Instagram, TikTok and YouTube content creator with 114,000 Instagram followers, finds it exciting, but is also saddened that so many platforms have to do with video and “the love and culture of photography. online will disappear. “

Company logo

Digital Services Manager | Marketing Agency (FMH)

A customer data platform gives you a single view of the customer, and then what? | mediarhythmic | Open microphone